The first set of numbers was selected because 32 members of the Virginia soccer team won their jerseys. Bronco Mendenhall has preached “win not given” as one of his main mantras since taking over the program from Virginia in 2016. Each season, players are selected week by week in the fall camp to pick their numbers. jersey for the coming season.
We don’t yet know who picked first in this year’s draft overall, but 18 of the 32 jerseys selected are from fourth- or fifth-year seniors. Eight third year and six second year round out the rest of the players who have heard their names this time around.
Running back Jordan Ellis won the first pick in the first three jersey drafts under Mendenhall, with walk-in linebacker Reed Kellam getting the first pick in 2019. Richard Burney got the nod in 2020.
A few notes around the jerseys selected so far:
- Offensive / defensive duplicates have been selected for numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7, which is allowed as long as the players are on either side of the ball
- No surprises for returning players like Nick Grant (No. 1), Dontayvion Wicks (No. 3), Billy Kemp IV (No. 4), Brennan Armstrong (No. 5), Nick Jackson (No. 6), Noah Taylor (No. 7), Wayne Taulapapa (No. 21), Joey Blount (No. 29), Ryan Nelson (No. 54), Olu Oluwatimi (No. 55), Chris Glaser (No. 69) and Aaron Faumui (No. 91) because they are part of the group which kept the same jersey numbers
- Transfer tight end Jelani Woods (Oklahoma State) must have really impressed entering the first group and selecting the No.0 (who belonged to Zane Zandier last season)
- His transfer mate Anthony Johnson (Louisville) was also able to choose his jersey in this first group, taking the No.3
- Lavel Davis Jr. retained the No.81, and it’s impressive that he was able to select already given he returned from a knee injury in the spring.
- QB / WR Keytaon Thompson kept the No.99 which is great
- Ra’Shaun Henry went from number 17 last year to number 2, and De’Vante Cross also caught number 2, dropping from number 15
- Senior linebacker Elliott Brown moved from 43rd to 4th place
- Six offensive linemen have selected their jerseys, which is not surprising for a group that returns a lot of experience and leadership
Here are the jerseys awarded in the first group:
Virginia 2021 soccer jersey numbers
|3||Dontayvion Wicks||WR||Second year|
|4||Billy Kemp IV||WR||Senior|
|5||Chayce Chalmers||Comics||Second year|
|6||Nick jackson||HE B||Junior|
|7||Mike Hollin||RB||Second year|
|23||Cypress of Fentrell II||Comics||Second year|
|81||Lavel Davis Jr.||WR||Second year|
|90||Jahmeer carter||DL||Second year|
|99||Keytaon thompson||QB / WR||Senior|